The Houston Forensic Science Center (HFSC) provides unpaid, academically oriented internships for baccalaureate- and graduate-level students with career aspirations in the forensic sciences or other business functions that support the operation. Interns will gain experience and training by working in an HFSC discipline or business operation.
Internships typically run for 10-12 weeks during the summer with flexible schedules in the fall and spring. HFSC internships offer an opportunity to work in a large, full-service forensic laboratory, allowing participants to network in a professional environment, explore career options, gain knowledge and skills that complement their academic studies and build resumes. Interns will not perform independent casework on evidence.
For questions regarding the program please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The application process is competitive, and internships are limited. Qualified candidates must submit the following information:
- HFSC internship application
- 500-word narrative essay describing your interest, objective or motive for participating in the internship program
- An unofficial college transcript
- Two letters of recommendation on official university letterhead from professors and/or academic advisers
- Applicants must be at least 18 years of age
- Applicants must be current college or university undergraduate or graduate students
- Legal division applicants must be 2Ls or 3Ls. Rising 2Ls are also eligible to apply.
- Applicants must be in good academic standing with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0
- Applicants must be able to work a minimum of 25 hours per week in the summer and 12 hours during the fall and spring semesters
- Applicants must pass a security background check
Application Filing Period
Assignments may vary and will depend on current project needs. Placement in certain disciplines are not assured as this internship is competitive and positions are limited.
- Seized Drugs
- Latent Prints
- Multimedia Evidence Unit
- Research and Development
- Media/Public Relations
- Information Technology